Friday, December 4, 2009

Battle Angel


Battle Angel
I have to admit first off that I had a pre distaste to manga and anime. I mean I dabbled in stuff like sailor moon and Dragonball Z but I never really gave it a chance. I was much more immature then and realize now that I shouldn’t have judge a huge genre of literature and film making because of a bunch of wacka doo kids in high school. At my school the art department seemed to be split in half, kids who were serious about art and kids who did manga. Kids who dreamed of making a unique impact on this world and those who wanted to copy copy copy. I obviously was not a copier, and I judged anyone who wasn’t like me. It seemed to me like starting out an art career pigeon holing ones self into a style to be a very bad thing. I still think style should be evolved over a period of time and never be something one does conscious because then it would be forced. Those who were into manga were just too much for me.

The above being said, I am glad I gave manga a chance and read Battle Angel Alita. I must say it struck me as having everything a good piece of literature should have, depth, humor, action, social drama, twists turns you get where I am going. A few specific ideas it tackles not only intrigued me but also kind of freaked me out.

The process of taking a fragment of a brain and regenerating an entire body baffles my brains, as it should. This is possible in the story using nano technology. In the “real” world nano technology is a rapidly growing technology. I’ve seen concepts where cells phone are made completely of nano bots. To the point where your cell become permeable and can be shaped and used in any way, for instance wrapping it around your wrist or leg. I’ve even seen concepts where the phone attaches it self to the nerve ending in your body via super tiny threads of wire. The point I am trying to make really is more of a question. Would our current focus on technology be different if literature and other information filled medias were different? Da Vinci did drawings of helicopters and submarines thousands of years before technology caught up. Does it take a crazy idea now to perpetuate and actualized one in the future?
I wish there was more to the volume on our resources page because I know this is not the end of this series. Actually at the very end of it before Jim’s monster attacks he stumble across this organ. This gave me chill up my spine. I believe I’ve told you my senior thesis idea about the old church organ I am making into an interactive installation. Well before I read this about a month or so ago I came up with the main title and them to my thesis. It’s going to be called “ An Attempt to Be come in Human”. When the viewer plays the machine that slowly start to unlock episodic like imagery of people pushing the boundaries of humanity in one way or another, to achieve a higher state of being. The fact that someone somewhere else in the world had an idea like this gives me mixed emotion. I don’t know whether to feel completely unoriginal or feel more comfortable that my idea will be accepted.

I’m including a trip tic of one of the little mini episodes that will be in the finished piece, this part is called “ Learning to Breath Water”

No comments:

Post a Comment